Traveling to Bocas
As you know, flights/transportation to/from Bocas is not included in the trip. Cost of flights varies based on airports of course, but expect to pay $600-$900 total. Nearly everyone we've had come down (over 300 people from all over North America) paid less than $900 total. It's highly recommended you book your flights long in advance so that you're not paying a premium due to procrastination.
Start looking for flights now. Here's the best way to do so: (we're happy to provide any clarification during this process, so don't hesitate to reach out with questions).
- Your city --> Panama City (PTY)
- Kayak.com or Google.com/flights
- use +/- 1 day to see best options that can work for you on both departure and return dates
- Transfer via Uber/cab (about 30 mins) to smaller airport in Panama City called Albrook (PAC)
- Albrook (PAC) --> Bocas del Toro (BOC)
- AirPanama.com (use computer not phone and select English in top right of screen)
- Give yourself at least two hours (preferably three hours to be safe) between landing at PTY and departing from PAC (and vice versa on your way back home). You'll need this time to transfer airports, check-in, go through security, etc.
- Upon arriving at the Bocas airport, you will see an Adventure Hunt rep there. He/she will take you to transfer via boat (about 10 mins) to the resort
- This boat transfer is included in the price of the trip
- Another option is to fly to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) and travel from there to Bocas del Toro (BOC) on CaribeShuttle. This is often cheaper, but longer.
Check-in: We suggest planning your flights in a way that allows you to arrive in Bocas earlier rather than later if possible--that way you get that full day to enjoy in Bocas. Often times a redeye flight into PTY is best because it allows you to transfer to Albrook (PAC) and catch early flight on Air Panama to Bocas (BOC). Check-in is 3pm, but you can enjoy the beaches, beach club, and pool as much as you like before check-in.
Check-out: We suggest planning your flights in a way that allows you to stay and enjoy Bocas as much as possible the day of checkout. So fly out in the afternoon from Bocas and evening or another redeye from PTY.
Sometimes a night in Panama City is desired or required (based on flights). Accommodations in Panama City are not included, so be sure to plan accordingly. Panama City is a fun place to explore for a day and many of our Trip Attendees choose to spend a day there before or after Bocas.
This will be the trip of a lifetime!
Pack light! We've done multiple 14-day trips here with just one carry-on. You can do it. We challenge each of you to pack just one carry-on!
- 2 swimsuits
- Clothes for each day (as a guy, I usually take a few t-shirts, a couple pairs of shorts, 1 pair of pants, 1 long sleeve shirt/hoodie, a few underwear–washer & dryer in each villa)
- Hike/water shoes (Chacos, Tevas, etc.)
- Regular shoes
- A hat of some sort for extra sun protection
- Travel size toiletries
- Travel size sunscreen
- Travel size insect repellent
- Travel size hand sanitizer
- Phone, laptop, chargers (regular plugs)
- About $100 USD cash in 20s, 10s and 5s (they use USD in Bocas and throughout Panama)
- Snorkel gear if you have it (we'll rent some down there too, so not necessary, but nice if you have your own and have room for it)